How to be Prepared with your pet when the rains come
This is not something that anyone wants to have to prepare for, yet this week it looks like we need to be ready to get a lot of rain, and wind. Being ready in advance and having a plan and items you need will help you to remain calm when you pet will need you to be. The more prepared we are – the easier the coming weather will be for both us and our furry family members. Here are some tips to make sure you are ready:
- If you will have to be at work – create a buddy system. Ask a friend or neighbor you trust and your pet knows to check on your pet if you are unable to be home with them if the weather gets bad.
- If you have a home that has a tendency to flood or is near a body of water – know where you can go with your pets. Look for pet friendly hotels and/or emergency shelter areas in advance so you know exactly where you can go if the need arises.
- Make sure your pet has ID on them, a collar with their tag and phone number and/or address. If they are microchipped having their microchip tag on their collar is a good idea. Also, make sure your information is correct online for the microchip.
- Ensure you have all of your pets vaccination information with you. Also, if they are on chronic medications and/or special food, make sure you have enough to see you through the bad weather.
- Make sure you have enough bottled water to see you through the storm so you and your pets will have fresh clean water to drink if you have power outages.
Here is the link to a website with more information on being prepared for weather emergencies: